Fallin' Feathers Outfitters
J&S Migrators
Camo Finish
IYF Outfitters
Luckey Day Retrievers
Falling Snows Guide Service
Vertical Descent Outdoors
Waterfowl.TV

For Sponsor Info, click HERE to send email!
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Haukhunter  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 25, 2013 2:12:21 PM(UTC)
Haukhunter

Groups: Registered
United States

Thinking about tryin a do it yourself in Arkansas. Have any of you guys ever hunted Bayou Meto WMA near Stuttgart. If so any info would be great!
mudstomper  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 25, 2013 2:51:45 PM(UTC)
mudstomper

Was thanked: 85 time(s) in 67 post(s)
Carry some spare lug nuts and a couple of tires.
Haukhunter  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 25, 2013 2:55:31 PM(UTC)
Haukhunter

United States

That's what they said about Reelfoot but we had no problems ! All the locals were actually pretty helpful. Must be a bit more serious down there.
hammertime  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 25, 2013 2:58:00 PM(UTC)
hammertime

Switzerland

Was thanked: 70 time(s) in 52 post(s)
Why would you want to hunt there? Can't run anything higher than 25 hp , can only carry 15 shells and 3 mallards per person . That being said it's a huge area and isn't a place I would try and freelance on. Flooded woods are easy as heck to get lost in and before you say I have a GPS . They send search parties in after guys all the time who had a GPS. This isn't your local slough that you can just show up and hunt. Plus the locals don't really appreciate OOSER's hunting there WMA's. Id befriend someone in the know down there before and hunt it a bunch with them before I ever attempted hunting it by myself.
Haukhunter  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 25, 2013 3:05:23 PM(UTC)
Haukhunter

United States

Just wanting to try new places have hunted all over south Louisiana, Indiana, Nebraska, Tennessee, Iowa, South Dakota. Always looking for something new! Thanks for the advice!
6pointer0075  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 25, 2013 3:08:43 PM(UTC)
6pointer0075

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 36 post(s)
I would love to take a ride and do a DIY hunt on meto but I'd want to hunt it with a local or someone that's hunted it before first. There are other places besides there you could go hunt. I've Hurd some horror stories of people having no trailer tires/truck tires when they get back. Lug nuts missing etc. I'd be In a fighting mood for sure if I came back and my personal property was damaged/missing. Lol
Whiteshoes  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 25, 2013 3:09:43 PM(UTC)
Whiteshoes

United States

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Hunted B.M. many times but still I do not want to get LOST. GPS with spare batteries
6pointer0075  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, December 25, 2013 3:12:17 PM(UTC)
6pointer0075

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Haukhunter Go to Quoted Post
Just wanting to try new places have hunted all over south Louisiana, Indiana, Nebraska, Tennessee, Iowa, South Dakota. Always looking for something new! Thanks for the advice!

I'd ride with you if you wanted to take your boat and truck :). The fighting part I ain't that worried about. Only cowards destroy property and run away
hunthard  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, December 25, 2013 3:39:30 PM(UTC)
hunthard

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I'm mad enough about the duck season here that I'd go over there just for the chance to whip someone for messing with my junk.
mudstomper  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, December 25, 2013 4:10:52 PM(UTC)
mudstomper

Was thanked: 85 time(s) in 67 post(s)
I wouldn't let it stop me over the years I have heard of a lot of bad things happening in Tennessee wma parking lots so really it's not any worse than here. Just remember give respect and you will get it in return from others.
Paul  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, December 25, 2013 7:16:26 PM(UTC)
Paul

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I have never hunted down there but do hunt other wmas in arkansas and have never felt like I was picked out because I was from out of state. Im sure people cutting tires happens but like someone else said that can happen here.
Woodswise  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, December 25, 2013 7:46:34 PM(UTC)
Woodswise

United States

I started hunting the timber in the meto several years ago after being in a club hunting mostly fields in pits. I had a great time hunting those fields just got so I didn't care for the pits. I got local advise and took my jon boat and put in at Lower Valier at Bayou Meto. Even then there were a lot of boats now its much worse as it is so advertised all over the country. The local people often complain about out of staters because there are idiots any where you go. I suspect most vandalism occurs when someone blocks a vehicle or acts disrespectful unloading their rig and that happens everywhere you go. I got hooked on hunting green timber there because the hunting was spectacular! A lot has changed since then lower limits, shell restrictions, etc. My advise is contact the area officer they have always been very helpful and will give you good general advice. There is lots\ great public land in Arkansas and for years I have visited a lot of it and often had great success. There is federal land that you can hunt for free (free permits) and the wma permits are area specific but reasonably priced. You probably won't find someone that will point you to a spot at the meto and even if they did conditions are the real key to timber hunting and it changes with water and weather just follow the ducks! I have made great friends at motels where we had stayed and show a little courtesy and you might even get invited to a great hunt.
Dr. Diver  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, December 25, 2013 9:43:52 PM(UTC)
Dr. Diver

United States

Was thanked: 65 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Woodswise Go to Quoted Post
I started hunting the timber in the meto several years ago after being in a club hunting mostly fields in pits. I had a great time hunting those fields just got so I didn't care for the pits. I got local advise and took my jon boat and put in at Lower Valier at Bayou Meto. Even then there were a lot of boats now its much worse as it is so advertised all over the country. The local people often complain about out of staters because there are idiots any where you go. I suspect most vandalism occurs when someone blocks a vehicle or acts disrespectful unloading their rig and that happens everywhere you go. I got hooked on hunting green timber there because the hunting was spectacular! A lot has changed since then lower limits, shell restrictions, etc. My advise is contact the area officer they have always been very helpful and will give you good general advice. There is lots\ great public land in Arkansas and for years I have visited a lot of it and often had great success. There is federal land that you can hunt for free (free permits) and the wma permits are area specific but reasonably priced. You probably won't find someone that will point you to a spot at the meto and even if they did conditions are the real key to timber hunting and it changes with water and weather just follow the ducks! I have made great friends at motels where we had stayed and show a little courtesy and you might even get invited to a great hunt.

X2 If you can hunt or get set up with a local then yes go.
Like woods said better less crowded places to go
If you want to swap out some boat paint in the ditch is this places to go, but to me a more a enjoyible hunt is only a short drive away
feetdownKY  
#14 Posted : Thursday, December 26, 2013 6:51:06 AM(UTC)
feetdownKY

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Dr. Diver Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Woodswise Go to Quoted Post

X2 If you can hunt or get set up with a local then yes go.
Like woods said better less crowded places to go
If you want to swap out some boat paint in the ditch is this places to go, but to me a more a enjoyible hunt is only a short drive away

No more racing in da ditch. It's a NO WAKE zone. Idle only. One would be better off slapping the old 9.9 on the back and letting it eat. Don't be scared of BM. Just don't put in at Lower. That's were all the drama happens, BUT, if you are into that kind of thing and want some quick limits, put in there and just find the BLUE LINE.
Whiteshoes  
#15 Posted : Thursday, December 26, 2013 10:45:25 AM(UTC)
Whiteshoes

United States

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Hunt lower Val, better area & do not let a few local punks intimidate or bluff you.
hammertime  
#16 Posted : Thursday, December 26, 2013 12:03:56 PM(UTC)
hammertime

Switzerland

Was thanked: 70 time(s) in 52 post(s)
Govt cypress is all walk in and there are some real good holes in there if you can take a day and scout . Just have all your stuff in order down there the GW's love writing tickets .
DeathFromBelow  
#17 Posted : Thursday, December 26, 2013 2:50:12 PM(UTC)
DeathFromBelow

United States

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 18 post(s)
I guided there for years. It's not what it once was. As far as avoiding people your best bet is to put in at Mulberry and go to Govt Cypress and make the long wade in. Its A LOT of work but I've left many a day with the water looking like red koolaid in some of those holes. The best piece of advice I can give you is don't spend all day looking for a "hole" in the trees like you see in the movies. They hunt those spots to make the filming easier. Those ducks only need a little gap to funnel through. Look for clean water with ducks using it. By clean I mean little or no briars, bushes, saplings etc. The last year we could guide in there me and the clients I took in killed 1000 mallards before New Years and 90% came from a gap in the trees no bigger than a pickup bed. You can pm me and I'll shoot you a couple of GPS coordinates for some spots to check.
roadkill  
#18 Posted : Thursday, December 26, 2013 2:56:29 PM(UTC)
roadkill

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Devin I was waiting on you to chime in. I wasn't gonna throw your name out there but I knew you used to guide on it.