logo
Please support our Sponsors!
Wild Wings Taxidermy
J&S Migrators
Vertical Descent Outdoors
Click here to Contact us!
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GA Hunter  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 10, 2013 11:38:49 AM(UTC)
GA Hunter

Groups: Registered
United States

I was wondering if anyone knows someone who does not charge an arm and a leg to shoot some snow geese. I am wanting to take a friend of mine 13 year old daughter and let her experience the thrill of all the geese coming in and maybe shoot a few. I have introduced her to waterfowl hunting this year and all I have been able to get her on is some canada geese which she shot her first one this year and was so excited but the private land I hunt is a crap shot at best. Any help would be great thanks in advance.

Edited by user Tuesday, December 10, 2013 11:40:16 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

possumfoot  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 13, 2013 5:36:17 PM(UTC)
possumfoot

Was thanked: 135 time(s) in 111 post(s)
you know why snow goose hunting is expensive right??
Quackdaddy  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 24, 2013 11:20:44 PM(UTC)
Quackdaddy

Man
United States

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 53 post(s)
You may not get the locked up and decoying action doin it but Arkansas has a great spring conservation season on snows. I'd check into doin that. I'm gonna try to make it out there again in the spring
GA Hunter  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 26, 2013 7:40:26 AM(UTC)
GA Hunter

United States

No Possumfoot I dont unless it is that you can shoot tons of birds and Quackdaddy I will check on it I was up in Arkansas last year end of season and there was tons of snow geese there. Thanks for the response and have a blessed day
possumfoot  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 26, 2013 3:28:55 PM(UTC)
possumfoot

Was thanked: 135 time(s) in 111 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GA Hunter Go to Quoted Post
No Possumfoot I dont unless it is that you can shoot tons of birds and Quackdaddy I will check on it I was up in Arkansas last year end of season and there was tons of snow geese there. Thanks for the response and have a blessed day

decoys is the start.. it takes lots and lots and lots of em to be even half way consistant.

ecallers..

moving lots and lots and lots of decoys every/almost every day.

tons of scouting.

access.

paying the help. have to have help that knows how to set up and take down/move a spread.

yea, you can sneak em, and if you do it right, you can pile em up quick.. but doing it right is alot more work than you would think.. i have seen a few people puke while cleaning up cripples
Duckin22  
#6 Posted : Sunday, December 29, 2013 1:49:23 AM(UTC)
Duckin22

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
My grandpa has a farm in Missouri and that's where I go!!! I only have 2 dozen decoys and I can only get the small groups to come in range but usually shoot a lot. Big groups flying low just keep going. I already had a fox pro prairie blaster for coyote hunting. But it's worth the $250 I got in it. I am going to get another dozen this year. It's nice to also have someone that calls and tells me when they are moving through. I go set up the dekes the afternoon before I hunt and leave them out until I get ready to leave. But my e caller cost $550.00 you don't need that to be successful you can get a cassette caller pretty cheap on ebay. But they are so loud I don't know if they can hear the call or not. I have had a dead caller and still shoot birds. I will usually shoot 15 to 20 and may see 3,000 so it's slow and still a lot of work and I got it easy. The stackable shell decoys I have 2 dozen and they are huge I have a 4 wheeler and trailer to haul them I have a Avery finisher layout blind I got for Christmas. And I get shells for my b day. If you had to buy everything in one season it would be expensive. IMO
nyala  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 15, 2015 8:07:57 AM(UTC)
nyala

Man
United States

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I've been hunting light geese (and dark) for years and east of the MS river is excellent. You can find guides that do all the work for you (some ask you to help set decoys, large or small groups and help pick them up, some do not). Cost ranges from $150-$250 per day, per hunter on average. Some offer food/lodging. I prefer hunting over decoys but some like to "creep" ditches and get into range of large flocks. That can be effective but not in the same league with hunting over decoys. AR & MO are great places but sometimes you get them in extreme west TN. If your going to invest in a few decoys, I recommend Sillosocks (http://www.sillosocks.com/). Get in their flyway, put out a dozen and stay well hidden and quiet. You'll be surprised when some drift into your small spread during the day. Mornings and evenings are best but don't discount midday if you have the time. I've shot them over 3 decoys before. Good luck!
Holesinthesky  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 26, 2016 4:44:02 PM(UTC)
Holesinthesky

Was thanked: 90 time(s) in 55 post(s)
Just curious who hunts them here in Tn?

In the past, I have not seen large numbers.
But last week I saw A LOT of the in North Central TN area, and and South Central Ky area.

I was surprised to see them in fields, I stopped to watch.
Watched for 20 minutes or so, and got me to thinking, should give it a try again.

Tried it years ago, and quit. None of my friends and family liked hunting them.
Tough hunting for a one man show.
Flyfish37129  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 03, 2017 11:10:17 AM(UTC)
Flyfish37129

Man
United States

Was thanked: 287 time(s) in 243 post(s)
Gotta have access to property and it takes a lot of work to set up in muddy rice fields!