logo
Please support our Sponsors!
Wild Wings Taxidermy
J&S Migrators
Vertical Descent Outdoors
Click here to Contact us!
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

60 Pages«<57585960>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
preachermantom  
#1161 Posted : Wednesday, August 16, 2017 6:51:33 AM(UTC)
preachermantom

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 112 time(s) in 78 post(s)
Is God all you need in hard times?

Having friends, family, and church family is awesome. I have often wondered how I would have made it through some difficult situations with out them.

Thomas Kempis makes an interesting observation in his book The Imitation of Christ: “When a man of god will is afflicted, tempted, and tormented by evil thoughts, he realizes clearly that his greatest need is God, without Whom he can do no good.”

I would have to agree, while friends and family can comfort, only God can give the power to heal and overcome. So in reality God is ALL we need and He is EVERYTHING we need!!! Amen?

Remember what Jesus said: John 15:5 “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.

Some other relevant verses:

2 Corinthians 12:9 And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

Hebrews 7:25 Therefore He is also able to save to the uttermost those who come to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them.

Psalm 55:22 Cast your burden on the Lord,
And He shall sustain you;
He shall never permit the righteous to be moved.

So let us remember…God is truly all we need!

Tom
preachermantom  
#1162 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 8:31:59 AM(UTC)
preachermantom

United States

A reminder: Be on guard!

Thomas Kempis wrote: “Everyone, therefore, must be on guard against temptation and must watch in prayer lest the devil, who never sleeps but goes about seeking whom he may devour, find occasion to deceive him. No one is so perfect or so holy but he is sometimes tempted; man cannot altogether free from temptation.”

So our question must be…Are we on guard? It is a must in this life that we live. We must constantly be watching for the devils temptations to come in all the various areas in our lives.

We must also pray for God’s protection and His wisdom to be upon us as a hedge of protection.

The above quote must have come after some thought about this verse:

1 Peter 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.

Know the devil is out to destroy you! Be on guard!

Look at what Jesus said: John 10:10 The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.

So let us remember to be on guard, staying close to the Lord, and praying about falling into temptation! With the power of Jesus we can overcome the devil!

Tom
preachermantom  
#1163 Posted : Friday, August 18, 2017 7:13:57 AM(UTC)
preachermantom

United States

The Best Medicine

From Daily Inspirations. A devotional I read often and I found this one to be worth a share today! Tom

Proverbs 17:22 A merry heart does good, like medicine,
But a broken spirit dries the bones.

Early in my uncle’s ministry he preached at a small country church located at the edge of a small rural community. Among the members of his congregation was an elderly lady named Thelma. Thelma had been a widow for many years and because she was unable to have children, she was completely alone in this world—or she would have been if not for her little church family.
But when Thelma fell and broke her hip, she suddenly found herself homebound. Thankfully her church family didn’t forget about her. They made sure she had plenty to eat, her house was kept clean and her laundry was done. Her yard was mowed and some of the young people (with a bit of adult supervision) planted and tended her garden—something she took great pride in.
One day while my uncle was visiting with Thelma, the home healthcare nurse arrived to check on Thelma’s progress. “Have you been taking your pain pills to keep you comfortable?” the nurse asked.
“I don’t need them,” Thelma replied. “This young man is my preacher. He stops by every few days to visit. He helps keep the grass mowed and his wife brings the children to cheer me up. The rest of my church family makes sure I have plenty to eat, keep the house clean, and see to everything else I need.”
“That’s wonderful,” the nurse smiled, “but that doesn’t do anything for managing your pain.”
“That’s not true,” Thelma told the nurse. “My friends are covering me with so much love there’s no room left for any pain.”
We all need to take a lesson from Thelma and her church family. We need to cover each other with so much love and TLC that there isn’t any room left for pain or sadness.

Prayer: God, please open my eyes and heart to see the needs of others so that I can be the medicine they need to take their pain away. In Jesus’ name, I pray, amen.
preachermantom  
#1164 Posted : Monday, August 21, 2017 6:59:57 AM(UTC)
preachermantom

United States

Singing to Praise the Lord

One of my favorite ways to praise the Lord is by singing to Him and about
Him. Matter of fact as I have matured in my faith, music that glorifies God is about all I listen to and I sing right along with them! Why would I listen to anything that God tells us is sin…drunkenness, adultery, ect.

For some reason many choose not to lift their voices to God in praise. Why is this? Many say because they can not sing but this is not a good excuse as quality has nothing to do with it, it is what is coming from the heart! Look at this verse:

Psalm 100 Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth!
2 Serve the Lord with gladness! Come into his presence with singing!

I don’t see anything here about quality, just gladness in the heart! When I know what Jesus has done for me upon that cross, there is nothing but praises to sing!!!

The bible is full of verses talking about singing praises to the Lord, so let us not be found lacking here!

Now there may be times when you can not sing out loud like the library or in your office but you can still do it!!!

1 Corinthians 14:15 What am I to do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will pray with my mind also; I will sing praise with my spirit, but I will sing with my mind also.

There is nothing in life quit like lifting up praises to our God and oh how He enjoys hearing our praises to Him to glorify HIs name!!! So let it out! Let the world know about our King Jesus!

Tom
preachermantom  
#1165 Posted : Tuesday, August 22, 2017 9:26:24 AM(UTC)
preachermantom

United States

Don’t act upon feelings but upon Truth!

We must be very careful about how we react to situations that come up in life. Many will tell you to go with your heart but that is not always wise! God tells us about our hearts:

Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?

Is that what you want to rely on in a serious situation? Not me! I want the truth!

Thomas Kempis said “through personal feeling true perspective is easily lost”. How true that is!

So where so we get the truth we need in all situations? God’s word!

Psalm 119:160 The sum of your word is truth, and every one of your righteous rules endures forever.

John 17:17 Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth.

Matthew 22:16 And they sent their disciples to him, along with the Herodians, saying, “Teacher, we know that you are true and teach the way of God truthfully, and you do not care about anyone's opinion, for you are not swayed by appearances.

John 14:6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Go with Jesus, The Word, every time and you will get the truth!!!! And your decisions will be made with ultimate wisdom!

Tom
preachermantom  
#1166 Posted : Wednesday, August 23, 2017 6:45:51 AM(UTC)
preachermantom

United States

It doesn’t matter what others say or think!

That is a harsh title isn’t it? But for the follower of Jesus what others say or think does not matter when we are being obedient to the Word of God and living as God has called us to do!

Thomas Kempis said: “If God were the sole object of our desire, we should not be disturbed so easily by opposition to our opinions.”

Ouch! I think he nailed it. Often we are more concerned about what others may say or think about us than we are about glorifying God because we want to please Him in every area of our life!

What does God’s Word say:

Psalm 118:8 It is better to take refuge in the Lord
than to trust in man.

Galatians 1:10 For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ.

Mark 8:38 For whoever is ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him will the Son of Man also be ashamed when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.”

Mark 12:14 And they came and said to him, “Teacher, we know that you are true and do not care about anyone's opinion. For you are not swayed by appearances, but truly teach the way of God.

1 Thessalonians 2:4 but just as we have been approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel, so we speak, not to please man, but to please God who tests our hearts.

God’s Word has spoken…nothing else to say but God’s Word and being obedient to Him is all that matters now and for eternity!

Tom
preachermantom  
#1167 Posted : Thursday, August 24, 2017 8:54:13 AM(UTC)
preachermantom

United States

Do you trust God?

That sounds like a dumb question to most doesn’t it? But before you dismiss is think on it for a bit. Are you willing to obey and do whatever He says?

He told Abraham to pack his stuff and go! Did not say where to at that point but that He would show Him. Do you trust God that much?

Genesis 12:1 Now the Lord said[a] to Abram, “Go from your country and your kindred and your father's house to the land that I will show you.

Jesus called the disciples to follow Him and did not say where just follow. Do you trust Jesus that much?

Mark 2:14 And as he passed by, he saw Levi the son of Alphaeus sitting at the tax booth, and he said to him, “Follow me.” And he rose and followed him.

Many other biblical examples I could share. What is God calling you too? Sunday School Teacher, Missionary, tell neighbor the gospel, feed the hungry with your own money, or a million other things. It will cost you something dearly most likely and then the question becomes…do you trust God?

Tom
preachermantom  
#1168 Posted : Monday, August 28, 2017 6:48:16 AM(UTC)
preachermantom

United States

Why are you doing that?

Helping someone out is awesome! We should do this often. As followers of Jesus the love we have for people should push us to help. It should not be the help itself that pushes us but what is reason we are helping. It should be out of love!

Thomas Kempis said: “God weighs the love with which a man acts rather than the deep itself.”

The Word of God touches on this as well: 1 Corinthians 13:3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.

Do you love people??? Even those whom you disagree with or don’t even like???

Remember these words from Jesus: Matthew 22:39 And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’

So let everything we say and do be in love for we are followers of Jesus!

Tom
preachermantom  
#1169 Posted : Tuesday, August 29, 2017 7:46:44 AM(UTC)
preachermantom

United States

Do you have perfect love?

I can already answer the above question for myself…no! Do I desire to have perfect love for all people…yes! I hope you do too.

Thomas Kempis helps us to understand how to have this perfect love with this statement: “He who has true and perfect charity (love) seeks self in nothing, but searches all things for the glory of God.”

The only way to have perfect love is to first put others first and second to make sure all we do if for God’s glory. Not easy to do, huh?

What does God’s Word say to this?

Philippians 2:3
3 Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.

1 John 4:7-8
7 Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. 8 Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love.

Colossians 3:17
17 And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

Colossians 3:23
23 And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men,

So is your love perfect? Strive for it and glorify God!

Tom
preachermantom  
#1170 Posted : Wednesday, August 30, 2017 6:36:13 AM(UTC)
preachermantom

United States

Bearing one another

I think it is safe to say some folks are hard for us to get along with. We all have folks in life that really push our buttons. So how are we supposed to treat those who do this? Like Jesus treats us! I bet we push His buttons often but he still loves us and shows us mercy, grace, and love.

Look at the teaching of scriptures:

Romans 12:16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.

John 13:34 A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.

Romans 12:10 Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves.

Romans 15:7 Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God.

Ephesians 4:2 Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.

Ephesians 4:32 Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

I don’t know about you but I still need much growth in this area!!! God’s Word is plain and simple….love one another….no excuses!

Tom
preachermantom  
#1171 Posted : Thursday, August 31, 2017 7:56:43 AM(UTC)
preachermantom

United States

We are not perfect!

I don’t think it is a surprise to anyone to say none of us are perfect. Only Jesus can claim that. Paul reminds us plainly we are sinners:

1 Timothy 1:15
15 This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief.

We all could fight for the title chief sinner! Amen?

Thomas Kempis gives us some good advice about our imperfections when dealing with others and ourselves:

“Try to bear patiently with the defects and infirmities of others, whatever they may be, because you also have many a fault which others must endure.”

So let us understand we are not perfect, others are not perfect and we must do our best as followers of Jesus to love others and share the Word of God with them while we continue to work on our selves becoming more like Jesus everyday!

Galatians 5:13
13 For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.

Ephesians 4:2
2 with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love,

1 Peter 3:8
8 Finally, all of you be of one mind, having compassion for one another; love as brothers, be tenderhearted, be courteous;

1 John 1:8-10
If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.

Unity is key for the followers of Jesus. Love one another!

Tom
preachermantom  
#1172 Posted : Friday, September 01, 2017 9:07:39 AM(UTC)
preachermantom

United States

Fool for Christ?

Thomas Kempis said “If you would become a religious, you must be content to seem a fool for the sake of Christ.”

Now personally I would not say religious but I would say something to the sort of “a true follower of Jesus”, but I believe his point is right on the money. Are you ready to be a fool for Jesus?

How might you be a fool? Well it is easy in the worlds eyes! Share the gospel with people. Pray in public. Stand upon the Word of God no matter what the world says and oh does it say a lot! Most of the people who stood up for the things of God were fools in the world’s eyes…even Jesus!

What does God’s Word say?

1 Corinthians 4:10
10 We are fools for Christ’s sake, but you are wise in Christ! We are weak, but you are strong! You are distinguished, but we are dishonored!

1 Corinthians 1:26-31
26 For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called. 27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty; 28 and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are, 29 that no flesh should glory in His presence. 30 But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God—and righteousness and sanctification and redemption— 31 that, as it is written, “He who glories, let him glory in the Lord.”

So are you a fool for Jesus….better think about it? He desires fools for Him! Be a fool for Him!

Tom
preachermantom  
#1173 Posted : Monday, September 04, 2017 8:39:09 AM(UTC)
preachermantom

United States

You were made for ONE thing!

As we wonder through this life we must come to the realization that we were made for one thing….a relationship with God. The sooner we realize that and live our lives in accordance with that fact the better off we will be.

Thomas Kempis said: “He who seeks anything but God alone and the salvation of his soul will find only trouble and grief.”

God tells us straight up he is a jealous God:

Exodus 20:5
5 you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me,

Why is God jealous because He alone is worthy of worship and praise of His creation which includes me and you! Are you worshipping Him with all your life not just where you want to let Him in here and there!

I think it makes sense that if we desire anything but the true God we will have troubles especially when our soul in required of us in death!

To make it simple look what Jesus said:

Luke 4:8
8 And Jesus answered and said to him, “Get behind Me, Satan! For it is written, ‘You shall worship the Lord your God, and Him only you shall serve.’ ”

So let us think today is my salvation and worship in anything else other than God? There are many things calling for our worship let us be careful not to fall for Satan’s tricks!

Tom
preachermantom  
#1174 Posted : Tuesday, September 05, 2017 7:00:54 AM(UTC)
preachermantom

United States

What are you doing about the Father’s business?

I want you to consider for a moment the work done for the Lord by godly men and women of the bible and great godly leaders since. How do you match up? I am afraid I have to agree with Thomas Kempis when he said: “Consider the lively examples set us by the saints, and you will see how little, how nearly nothing, we do!”
As followers of Jesus we have great responsibilities....sharing the gospel, loving others, meeting the needs of others, and serving the church. These are all clearly stated in the bible. So evaluate yourself and then answer the question...Am I giving my all for the glory of God in service to my King Jesus?
Here are a few scriptures to think upon:
Luke 2:49 And He said to them, “Why did you seek Me? Did you not know that I must be about My Father’s business?”

James 2:14-26

14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
18 But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. 19 You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble! 20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead? 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? 22 Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect? 23 And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.” And he was called the friend of God. 24 You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.
25 Likewise, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out another way?
26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.
Matthew 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.

Matthew 16:27 For the Son of Man will come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and then He will reward each according to his works.

So again I ask....are you about the Father’s business like Jesus?

*Side note: Just a reminder works do not save you...faith alone in Jesus saves you....but you work because you have been saved and want others to come to Jesus as well.

Tom
preachermantom  
#1175 Posted : Wednesday, September 06, 2017 7:11:19 AM(UTC)
preachermantom

United States

Use of time?

We all have 24 hrs in a day, right? Have you ever sat down and thought about how you use that time every day? We need to especially when we know why we are on this earth in the first place….to worship God, to glorify His name, and to do His work are our main priorities. Of course we also have to work, pay bills, take care of our kids, and other duties.

What does God’s Word say about use of time?

Colossians 4:5
5 Walk in wisdom toward outsiders, making the best use of the time.

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8
3 For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:
a time to be born, and a time to die;
a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;
a time to kill, and a time to heal;
a time to break down, and a time to build up;
a time to weep, and a time to laugh;
a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
a time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together;
a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
a time to seek, and a time to lose;
a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
a time to tear, and a time to sew;
a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
8 a time to love, and a time to hate; a time for war, and a time for peace.

James 4:14
14 yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes.

Ephesians 5:16
16 making the best use of the time, because the days are evil.

John 17:4
4 I glorified you on earth, having accomplished the work that you gave me to do.

That last verse really hits home….are we using the time to accomplish all that God has given us to do???? Think on that for a while today!

Tom
preachermantom  
#1176 Posted : Friday, September 08, 2017 6:37:32 AM(UTC)
preachermantom

United States

Are you in awe of God? listen to this song and praise King Jesus this morning. He is WORTHY!

preachermantom  
#1177 Posted : Monday, September 11, 2017 6:40:03 AM(UTC)
preachermantom

United States

Control your mind!

Thomas Kempis said: “Never be completely unoccupied, but read or write or pray or meditate or do something for the common good.”

When we don’t keep control of our mind the devil will get busy and put something in it that ought not be there if we are not very careful. Look what God tells us in His Word:

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things arejust, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.

Think on the things of God!!! So it is very simple message this morning....keep control of your mind by keeping godly thoughts and practices in the forefront!

Tom
preachermantom  
#1178 Posted : Tuesday, September 12, 2017 8:06:01 AM(UTC)
preachermantom

United States

Are you watching?

God has shown me this verse a couple different times in the last few days so I want to share it with you:

Luke 12:37a
37 Blessed are those servants, whom the lord when he cometh shall find watching:

I have three questions for you?

Are you a servant of Jesus?
Do you know the Lord can come at anytime?
Are you watching for Him?

Only one way to be a servant…a personal relationship with the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ through faith alone!

The Bible tells us Jesus can come at anytime, there is no debate about that!

The bible also tells us Jesus will come like a thief in the night to take up His followers….are you ready and watching for that return?

Be blessed and be ready for the King is coming soon!

Tom
preachermantom  
#1179 Posted : Wednesday, September 13, 2017 6:51:14 AM(UTC)
preachermantom

United States

You are blessed!

I can say without a shadow of a doubt I am a blessed man. We all can. Have you taken time of late to think about how blessed you are?

Thomas Kempis said: “meditate often on the favors of God”.

We don’t take enough time to do this. God is good. Not matter what a day brings we must remember God has provided salvation through His Son Jesus for all. If God does nothing else, we are blessed! Oh but God blesses us everyday…food, clothing, and shelter. And much, much more!

Psalm 9:1
I will praise You, O Lord, with my whole heart;
I will tell of all Your marvelous works.

Colossians 3:16-17
16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. 17 And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

Psalm 107:8-9
8 Oh, that men would give thanks to the Lord for His goodness,
And for His wonderful works to the children of men!
9 For He satisfies the longing soul,
And fills the hungry soul with goodness.

1 Thessalonians 5:18
18 in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

John 3:16
16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

So this day and everyday let us take time to praise the Lord for He is good and worthy of all our praise!

Tom
preachermantom  
#1180 Posted : Thursday, September 14, 2017 7:19:39 AM(UTC)
preachermantom

United States

Not enough time???

Most of us see to think we do not have enough time to get everything done that needs to be done in a day’s time. So what usually gets cut? In many cases time alone with God which out not to be so.

Look what Thomas Kempis said: “If you withdraw yourself from unnecessary talking and idle running about, from listening to gossip and rumors, you will find enough time that is suitable for holy meditation.”

Wow chew one that for a bit. He is right on the money! How often do we waste time talking about things that do not matter? How much are we doing that will not make a difference in the end (idle things)? How much time do we spend gossiping and talking about rumors that we are specifically told not to do in God’s Word? If we eliminate all these things we will have plenty time to spend with God!

So what about it??? You got time??? Make some!

Tom