logo
Please support our Sponsors!
Wild Wings Taxidermy
J&S Migrators
Vertical Descent Outdoors
Click here to Contact us!
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

62 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
preachermantom  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:02:15 AM(UTC)
preachermantom

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 114 time(s) in 78 post(s)
Church excuses debunked #1

I was think this morning about the excuses I have heard about why folks don't go to church. I want to cover a few of them over then next few days. One of the biggest excuses I hear is "I don't go because of all the hypocrites that go to church." I am sure you have either used that one yourself or know someone who uses that excuse.

First, I want to point out to you that Jesus used one of the biggest hypocrites of all time to build the church....who might that be? Peter! Do you remember this incident?

Matthew 26:31-35

31 Then Jesus said to them, “All of you will be made to stumble because of Me this night, for it is written:

‘I will strike the Shepherd,

And the sheep of the flock will be scattered.’[d]

32 But after I have been raised, I will go before you to Galilee.”

33 Peter answered and said to Him, “Even if all are made to stumble because of You, I will never be made to stumble.”

34 Jesus said to him, “Assuredly, I say to you that this night, before the rooster crows, you will deny Me three times.”

35 Peter said to Him, “Even if I have to die with You, I will not deny You!”

And so said all the disciples.

Matthew 26:69-74

69 Now Peter sat outside in the courtyard. And a servant girl came to him, saying, “You also were with Jesus of Galilee.”

70 But he denied it before them all, saying, “I do not know what you are saying.”

71 And when he had gone out to the gateway, another girl saw him and said to those who were there, “This fellow also was with Jesus of Nazareth.”

72 But again he denied with an oath, “I do not know the Man!”

73 And a little later those who stood by came up and said to Peter, “Surely you also are one of them, for your speech betrays you.”

74 Then he began to curse and swear, saying, “I do not know the Man!”

Immediately a rooster crowed. 75 And Peter remembered the word of Jesus who had said to him, “Before the rooster crows, you will deny Me three times.” So he went out and wept bitterly.

Can anyone be a bigger hypocrite than Peter? This did not stop Jesus from building His church upon Peter!

Matthew 16:18

18 And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it.

If Jesus did not have a problem with Peter being the leader of the church and getting it established. Then knowing that hypocrites are a part of the church keep us from attending....absolutely not!

Secondly, when we get right down to it all of us are hypocrites in areas of our lives. The church is a place for sick people to get healed of their sickness....sin. God tells us in Hebrews 10:25 not to forsake the assembling of ourselves together....in others words the gathering of the church is not an option. I have never seen in the Bible a clause that says unless their are hypocrites!

So this morning we see the hypocrite excuse doesn't fly! I will end with this quote by Johnny Hunt "I would not have much faith in the gas in the bus that can get you to heaven if it can't even get you to church!"

Tom

Edited by user Tuesday, January 22, 2013 4:44:34 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked preachermantom for this useful post.
preachermantom  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:03:18 AM(UTC)
preachermantom

United States

Church excuses debunked #2

The next excuse that I have heard many times is this: "All the preacher/church wants is money!" I must admit that their are some who abuse money in the church. As long as man has a hand in anything their is always a chance that something may go wrong. But God is clear in Scripture that we are to do two things....tithe and support the man of God(Pastor).

First look at the tithe:

Here are some scriptures to read:

Malachi 3:8

“Will a man rob God? Yet you have robbed Me! But you say, ‘In what way have we robbed You?’ In tithes and offerings.

Malachi 3:8

“Will a man rob God? Yet you have robbed Me! But you say, ‘In what way have we robbed You?’ In tithes and offerings.

Numbers 18:21

“Behold, I have given the children of Levi all the tithes in Israel as an inheritance in return for the work which they perform, the work of the tabernacle of meeting.

I know the first thing said by many will be these are old testament. Yes they are but the standard is still the same. God has blessed you and He expects you to give a portion back to the church. The church then should use the money for upkeep of the church, helping others, spreading the gospel, and taking care of the preacher. This is a difficult subject to answer in a short devotion so I am going to let God's Word speak for it"s self!

The second point of supporting the preacher:

Paul covers this pretty well in these verses:

1 Corinthians 9:1-23

A Pattern of Self-Denial

9 Am I not an apostle? Am I not free? Have I not seen Jesus Christ our Lord? Are you not my work in the Lord? 2 If I am not an apostle to others, yet doubtless I am to you. For you are the seal of my apostleship in the Lord.

3 My defense to those who examine me is this: 4 Do we have no right to eat and drink? 5 Do we have no right to take along a believing wife, as do also the other apostles, the brothers of the Lord, and Cephas? 6 Or is it only Barnabas and I who have no right to refrain from working? 7 Who ever goes to war at his own expense? Who plants a vineyard and does not eat of its fruit? Or who tends a flock and does not drink of the milk of the flock?

8 Do I say these things as a mere man? Or does not the law say the same also? 9 For it is written in the law of Moses, “You shall not muzzle an ox while it treads out the grain.” Is it oxen God is concerned about? 10 Or does He say it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written, that he who plows should plow in hope, and he who threshes in hope should be partaker of his hope. 11 If we have sown spiritual things for you, is it a great thing if we reap your material things? 12 If others are partakers of this right over you, are we not even more?

Nevertheless we have not used this right, but endure all things lest we hinder the gospel of Christ. 13 Do you not know that those who minister the holy things eat of the things of the temple, and those who serve at the altar partake of the offerings of the altar? 14 Even so the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should live from the gospel.

15 But I have used none of these things, nor have I written these things that it should be done so to me; for it would be better for me to die than that anyone should make my boasting void. 16 For if I preach the gospel, I have nothing to boast of, for necessity is laid upon me; yes, woe is me if I do not preach the gospel! 17 For if I do this willingly, I have a reward; but if against my will, I have been entrusted with a stewardship. 18 What is my reward then? That when I preach the gospel, I may present the gospel of Christ without charge, that I may not abuse my authority in the gospel.

Serving All Men

19 For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more; 20 and to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the law, as under the law, that I might win those who are under the law; 21 to those who are without law, as without law (not being without law toward God, but under law toward Christ), that I might win those who are without law; 22 to the weak I became as weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. 23 Now this I do for the gospel’s sake, that I may be partaker of it with you.

Paul says he did not use what should have been provided in these verses but to me it is clear he is making it clear that we should provide for those who preach the gospel for a living.

Another good example I will just throw in is this for the church:

Acts 2:42-47

42 And they continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers. 43 Then fear came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were done through the apostles. 44 Now all who believed were together, and had all things in common, 45 and sold their possessions and goods, and divided them among all, as anyone had need.

46 So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart, 47 praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.

Like I said earlier, this is a complex subject and I am just touching the tip of the ice burg on it. Study the scriptures and I think you will find tithing and supporting the pastor is biblical, but the abusing of it is not and must be kept in check!

Tom
thanks 1 user thanked preachermantom for this useful post.
preachermantom  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:04:32 AM(UTC)
preachermantom

United States

Church excuses debunked #3

Today the excuse I want to look at is this: "I don't go to church because the preacher is always looking at me and talking about my sin."

I have heard this many times over the years. I have had folks come up after church ask me why I kept looking at them. I wasn't but I guess they felt that way. I must say myself that when I was without Jesus, many times i thought the preacher was talking to me....why is this?

The preacher has a message that God has laid upon his heart to bring to the people. The pastor is just a messenger. When I am bringing a message I am not looking at anyone intentionally. I believe I can say that for most preachers.

So why do we feel the preacher is looking at us? It is the convicting work of the Holy Spirit. Which in short is God working upon our hearts! We are being convicted of out sin! Look at these verses:

Hebrews 3:7-10

7 Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says:

“Today, if you will hear His voice,

8 Do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion,

In the day of trial in the wilderness,

9 Where your fathers tested Me, tried Me,

And saw My works forty years.

10 Therefore I was angry with that generation,

And said, ‘They always go astray in their heart,

And they have not known My ways.’

1 Corinthians 2:13

13 These things we also speak, not in words which man’s wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

Acts 7:51

51 “You stiff-necked and uncircumcised in heart and ears! You always resist the Holy Spirit; as your fathers did, so do you.

Acts 10:44

44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who heard the word.

Acts 11:15

15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell upon them, as upon us at the beginning.

1 Thessalonians 4:8

8 Therefore he who rejects this does not reject man, but God, who has also given us His Holy Spirit.

1 Peter 1:12

12 To them it was revealed that, not to themselves, but to us they were ministering the things which now have been reported to you through those who have preached the gospel to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven—things which angels desire to look into.

2 Peter 1:21

21 for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.

1 John 5:7

7 For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one.

Using the excuse that the preacher is pointing at me may actually be a sign that God through the Holy Spirit is speaking to you and we need to not be hardhearted and listen to the promptings of the Holy Spirit!

Tom
preachermantom  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:06:17 AM(UTC)
preachermantom

United States

Church excuses debunked #4

Well here is the next excuse I have heard "I don't have to go to church to worship God." While this is true as we can worship while not in church it does not hold water when we look at scripture. We are commanded to go to church. I know this one will get some riled up but remember you are not arguing with me or anyone else you are arguing with the Word of God!

First, this verse makes it clear we are to assemble together with other believers:

Hebrews 10:25

25 not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.

How much more plain can God make it? I mean the Word even tells us about those who makes excuses..."as is the manner of some"!

Second, God gives us gifts to use through the Holy Spirit that we are to use with our brothers and sisters in Christ:

Romans 12:3-8

3 For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith. 4 For as we have many members in one body, but all the members do not have the same function, 5 so we, being many, are one body in Christ, and individually members of one another. 6 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, let us prophesy in proportion to our faith; 7 or ministry, let us use it in our ministering; he who teaches, in teaching; 8 he who exhorts, in exhortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness.

1 Corinthians 12

Spiritual Gifts: Unity in Diversity

12 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be ignorant: 2 You know that[a] you were Gentiles, carried away to these dumb idols, however you were led. 3 Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God calls Jesus accursed, and no one can say that Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit.

4 There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. 6 And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all. 7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: 8 for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. 11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.

Unity and Diversity in One Body

12 For as the body is one and has many members, but all the members of that one body, being many, are one body, so also is Christ. 13 For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free—and have all been made to drink into[c] one Spirit. 14 For in fact the body is not one member but many.

15 If the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I am not of the body,” is it therefore not of the body? 16 And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I am not of the body,” is it therefore not of the body? 17 If the whole body were an eye, where would be the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where would be the smelling? 18 But now God has set the members, each one of them, in the body just as He pleased. 19 And if they were all one member, where would the body be?

20 But now indeed there are many members, yet one body. 21 And the eye cannot say to the hand, “I have no need of you”; nor again the head to the feet, “I have no need of you.” 22 No, much rather, those members of the body which seem to be weaker are necessary. 23 And those members of the body which we think to be less honorable, on these we bestow greater honor; and our unpresentable parts have greater modesty, 24 but our presentable parts have no need. But God composed the body, having given greater honor to that part which lacks it, 25 that there should be no schism in the body, but that the members should have the same care for one another. 26 And if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it; or if one member is honored, all the members rejoice with it.

27 Now you are the body of Christ, and members individually. 28 And God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, varieties of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Are all workers of miracles? 30 Do all have gifts of healings? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? 31 But earnestly desire the best[d] gifts. And yet I show you a more excellent way.

Now how can you use your gifts if you are not among your brothers and sisters in Christ? To me this passage makes it very clear you are to be a part of a church using your gifts for the glory of God!

Thirdly, Christ established and died for the church:

Matthew 16:18

And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it.

Acts 2:47

praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.

Acts 9:31

[ The Church Prospers ] Then the churches throughout all Judea, Galilee, and Samaria had peace and were edified. And walking in the fear of the Lord and in the comfort of the Holy Spirit, they were multiplied.

Ephesians 1:22

And He put all things under His feet, and gave Him to be head over all things to the church,

Ephesians 3:21

to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen.

Ephesians 5:29

For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as the Lord does the church.

Colossians 1:18

And He is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things He may have the preeminence.

1 Timothy 3:15

but if I am delayed, I write so that you may know how you ought to conduct yourself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

If you read all these verses it is clear that Jesus established the church, He expects us to be a part of the church, He expects us to use our gifts for the church, and Christ died for the church. We can make all the excuses we want but they will not stand before the Lord. If you are using this excuse repent of it now and do what the Word of God says!

I love the outdoors as much as anyone. Many of mornings on my way to church the thought runs through my mind....it sure would be a great day to hunt or it sure would be a beautiful morning on the water! But I can say without hesitation I have never regretted observing the Sabbath day in church worshiping my Lord and savior with my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ.

Don't let Satan blind you with a lie....church attendance and worship is commanded by the Lord and it should be a desire in your heart!

Tom
thanks 2 users thanked preachermantom for this useful post.
Flyfish37129  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 1:50:58 PM(UTC)
Flyfish37129

Man
United States

Was thanked: 287 time(s) in 243 post(s)
Thank you Preacherman! Preach on!
preachermantom  
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2012 7:55:10 AM(UTC)
preachermantom

United States

Why me?

Have you ever had one of those mornings when you have things to do (like work) and one of your children is sick and you think why me oh Lord? Well this is one of those mornings! But then it hit me....it could be so much worse. God brought it to my attention real quick of others who are suffering in so many ways. This little bump in the road is nothing in comparison. These verses came to mind:

Psalm 34:7-9

7 The angel of the Lord encamps all around those who fear Him,

And delivers them.

8 Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good;

Blessed is the man who trusts in Him!

9 Oh, fear the Lord, you His saints!

There is no want to those who fear Him.

I trust my Lord with all my heart! He has blessed me with much more than I deserve. It was the selfish desires of my own heart that popped out first thing this morning and now I must repent of that! God has blessed me with two wonderful children and I need to keep that in the front of my mind at all times. I think of my friend Scott Saeger this morning who son Matthew is battling so hard this morning to get well from his brain surgery. We are blessed with God's gift of children, may we never take these gifts for granted. I thank God this morning for children.

So this morning are you thankful for another day? If a bump in the raod appears will you still praise our King? Most of the time if we just get self out of the way we see God's bigger picture and it is so much more than I!!!!!!!

Tom
preachermantom  
#7 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2012 9:27:34 AM(UTC)
preachermantom

United States

Are you ready for battle?

Last night I was in Mississippi watching Blue Mountain College play basketball. A young lady named Kati Prince starts as a freshmen for the team. She was in the youth group at church and has grown up into mighty follower of Jesus. When she was a Senior in High School in Waverly, Tenn she tore her ACL. She battled back through hard rehab and was ready to play this season. Last night in the first quarter she went down again, it appears at this time she has damaged the other knee. She is at the knee surgeons office right now. We are praying it is not what it appears. Being one of the spiritual leaders in her life it is tough to know what to say. Her dad and I were talking last night on the way home and we have come to the conclusion that Satan is testing her and he has chosen this area of her life. All of us have an area or areas that Satan will test us in. Have you ever thought about that? God has warned us to be prepared, look at these verses:

Ephesians 6:10-17

10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. 11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. 13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

14 Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. 17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God;

1 Peter 5:8

8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.

We must stand against the devil! he will use all means to try to devour us. I think of Job....He lost everything...family, health, and riches! But one thing the devil could not take from him was his faith in God. Go back and read Job! Yes Job has questions of why, yes Jobs friends told him it was his sin causing the problems but it wasn't! The devil was just trying him. Remember God gave the devil permission to do anything but take his life, and Job stood strong. Are we different than Job? No! What makes us think God won't allow Satan to do the same to us? God had confidence in Job that he would remain faithful! Guess what He did. In the end Job was greatly blessed! We will be too if we remain faithful to the King!

Kati, you turned many towards Jesus when you battled through this last time, if need be I have no doubt you will do the same this time. Your daddy said "Satan has messed with the wrong one if he thinks he is gonna beat you!" I stand right there beside him in agreement!

My friends don't let the devil devour you. We are in a battle, prepare for the war in Christ!

Tom
Tater Salad  
#8 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2012 10:29:23 AM(UTC)
Tater Salad

Groups: Registered, Moderators
Man
United States

Was thanked: 256 time(s) in 171 post(s)
The great thing us Satan can not tempt us without God allowing him to do so and God will not allow him to put anymore on us than what we can handle when we give it all to the Lord. Thanks again Bro. Keep them coming. I truly enjoy your post everyday.

Edited by user Thursday, March 08, 2012 7:54:27 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

callemquacktn  
#9 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2012 10:58:30 AM(UTC)
callemquacktn

Man
United States

Was thanked: 127 time(s) in 93 post(s)
Great post!!! Keep them coming!
preachermantom  
#10 Posted : Monday, February 27, 2012 8:34:56 AM(UTC)
preachermantom

United States

Jesus loves you anyway!

The lyrics to this song "You love me anyway" are awesome...listen to the link below:

Here is the chorus to the song really think about what it is saying:

I am the thorn in Your crown

But You love me anyway

I am the sweat from Your brow

But You love me anyway

I am the nail in Your wrist

But You love me anyway

I am Judas’ kiss

But You love me anyway

See now, I am the man who yelled out from the crowd

For Your blood to be spilled on this earth shaking

ground

Yes then, I turned away with a smile on my face

With this sin in my heart tried to bury Your grace

And then alone in the night, I still called out for You

So ashamed of my life, my life, my life

But You love me anyway

It’s like nothing in life that I’ve ever known

This song really speaks to me. We turn out back on Jesus so often. We are the reason those thorns were shoved on his head. We are the reason He allowed the nails to be drove in His hands. We are Judas's kiss....wow!

But Jesus loves us anyway! It just makes me want to fall to my knees in praise and thankfulness as I am so unworthy of His love.

Romans 8:38-39

38 For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, 39 nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Galatians 2:20

I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.

Ephesians 2:3-5

3 among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.

4 But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, 5 even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved),

1 John 4:7

[ Knowing God Through Love ] Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God

1 John 4:8

He who does not love does not know God, for God is love.

1 John 4:10

In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins

1 John 4:16

And we have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him.

1 John 5:3

For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome.

This morning I ask you just soak in God's love. Knowing how much He loves you no matter what your past is!

Tom
preachermantom  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, February 28, 2012 8:39:30 AM(UTC)
preachermantom

United States

Think before you speak!

Just a quick thought this morning on this verse:

Proverbs 29:20

20 Do you see a man who is hasty in his words?

There is more hope for a fool than for him.

As I have aged I have learned the value of this proverb. When I was young I would speak my mind and did not care what others thought. It seemed I always thought I was right....sound familiar? With the guidance of God's Word I have been taught that speaking quickly can be a problem. It can cause damage to others and believe it or not we can be wrong! haha God 's Word teaches over and over again to think before we open our mouths. It teaches to be slow to speak which implies we should know the truth in a matter before we open our mouths. It also says to be humble. So talking just to try to show we are right may not always be in our best interest! The one exception to this may be in our faith. When someone is questioning teaching a falsehood about our God it is our duty to stand strong BUT we are to do it in love not pride!

So this morning let us ask ourselves.....are we quick to open our mouths? Don't be foolish and keep it shut!

Tom
preachermantom  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, February 29, 2012 8:28:04 AM(UTC)
preachermantom

United States

Keeping the Word!

This verse really spoke to me, I hope it does you too!

John 17:6

6 “I have manifested your name to the people whom you gave me out of the world. Yours they were, and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word.

Now Jesus was praying to the Father in the hearing of His disciple shortly he would be arrested and crucified. A few things I want to point out in this verse.

First, we see Jesus says he was making clear( manifested) the name of God to those God gave Him out of the world. We also need to make clear the name of God and who He is to the world. How much do you talk about God? Do you tell folks what God has done for you? This should be a way of life for us for He deserves the glory and honor! Jesus also talks about people whom the Father gave Him....these folks are those who become followers of Christ! Isn't it awesome to know God gave us to Jesus?!!!!!

Second, Jesus repeats you "gave them to me". When you give something of value to someone it is a gift. We are gifts from the Father to Jesus! Ever thought about yourself as a gift to Jesus? Well me either til yesterday! We become gifts to Jesus when we give our lives to Him!

Third, and this is the point that really hit home to me...."they have kept your Word!" Now specifically Jesus is referring to the disciples here but it also pertains to us. Think about it, the disciples were far from being perfect. They made many mistakes greed, selfishness, pride, to just name a few. BUT they were striving hard to keep the Word of God. This is key for us. We will make mistakes but is it our desire and habit to strive to keep God's Word? Jesus gave them credit for it even though they were not perfect.

Think about this today my brothers and sisters, keep God's Word, don't compromise, it will do the soul good!

Tom
preachermantom  
#13 Posted : Friday, March 02, 2012 8:33:44 AM(UTC)
preachermantom

United States

Reverence for God

Quick thought this morning I just can seem to shake! Read these verses:

Exodus 3:1-6

The Burning Bush

Now Moses was keeping the flock of his father-in-law, Jethro, the priest of Midian, and he led his flock to the west side of the wilderness and came to Horeb, the mountain of God. 2 And the angel of the Lord appeared to him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush. He looked, and behold, the bush was burning, yet it was not consumed. 3 And Moses said, “I will turn aside to see this great sight, why the bush is not burned.” 4 When the Lord saw that he turned aside to see, God called to him out of the bush, “Moses, Moses!” And he said, “Here I am.” 5 Then he said, “Do not come near; take your sandals off your feet, for the place on which you are standing is holy ground.” 6 And he said, “I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.” And Moses hid his face, for he was afraid to look at God.

When we are in communication with God like Moses here at the burning bush do we have the reverence for God that we should? I often think about how people throw the names of God around with no hesitation at all. I also think about what I see in the house of the Lord today...lack of reverence and seriousness in worship. Look at what God told Moses when he was in God's presence. Get your sandals off you are standing on holy ground! That blows my mind and really makes me think about how I should respond to God. I also see Moses hid his face so he would not look at God! Now think about how are you acting and doing when in contact with God through worship, prayer, and even bible study. How serious do we take it? Do we try to eliminate distractions? God deserves and wants our very best and for myself I have to ask do I always give it???

Something to chew on this morning!

Tom
MarshCallUser  
#14 Posted : Friday, March 02, 2012 9:01:42 AM(UTC)
MarshCallUser

United States

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Thank you for the devotions Brother. It's good stuff to read!
preachermantom  
#15 Posted : Monday, March 05, 2012 8:29:02 AM(UTC)
preachermantom

United States

What must happen for a redeemed soul to be lost? #1

I was listening to a sermon last week the pastor used an article by J. Allen Blair. The article lists five things that must happen before a redeemed soul can be lost. So for the next several days I will list the five. This may raise some concern among some but all I can say is argue with God's Word not me....I am just the messenger. I believe when you see all five statements you will see if we are truly redeemed nothing can take that away!

So here is the first thing that must happen for a redeemed soul to be lost:

1. He must be plucked out of God's hand!

John 10:28-30

28 I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. 30 I and the Father are one.”

I don't know about you but this verse makes me want to shout! Thank you Jesus! As far as eternal security goes I don't need any other evidence from the Word of God! Do you know anybody or anything that has the power to overtake God? That is what would have to happen for a redeemed soul to be taken from God! I know of nothing that makes me feel more protected than that....NOTHING!

What a way to start of a Monday....knowing I am saved and nothing can take that away!

Tom
TN Hunter  
#16 Posted : Monday, March 05, 2012 9:29:36 AM(UTC)
TN Hunter

Man
United States

Was thanked: 65 time(s) in 56 post(s)
Originally Posted by: preachermantom Go to Quoted Post
Reverence for God
I also think about what I see in the house of the Lord today...lack of reverence and seriousness in worship.

You and me both!!

thanks 1 user thanked TN Hunter for this useful post.
preachermantom  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, March 06, 2012 10:17:36 AM(UTC)
preachermantom

United States

What must happen for a redeemed soul to be lost? #2

Continuing on from yesterday. The second thing to have to happen for a redeemed soul to be lost is:

The Seal of Ownership which made us God's purchased possession must be broken!

Now just stop and think about that statement for a moment. Now I will share a scripture with you:

Ephesians 1:13-14

13 In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory.

Ohhhhh these verses are good! When we heard the truth, which is the gospel from God's Word and we believed in Jesus it became our salvation! Thank you Jesus! Then we were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit which comes upon us as soon as we believe! This same Holy Spirit is the guarantee of our eternal inheritance which we will acquire at death or if Jesus returns first. All this is to the praise of HIS glory!

Now you tell me who can unseal the Holy Spirit? Who can take away our guarantee that the Holy Spirit has given to us? NOBODY or NOTHING! Wow this gets me excited thinking about it. I am sealed and guaranteed heaven, all because I believe what Jesus Christ did on the cross for me! Do you believe?

Tom
preachermantom  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, March 07, 2012 6:07:26 AM(UTC)
preachermantom

United States

What must happen for a redeemed soul to be lost? #3

Today we look at part three in this series of devotions on what must happen for a saved soul to be lost. So here is number 3:

The indwelling Holy Spirit must be cast out.

Again take a moment just to think about this. In scripture, I have read that a saved soul can grieve the Holy spirit, or that a saved soul can quench the spirit but I have never read that a saved soul can cast out the Holy Spirit! It just can't be done once one is saved! Read this verse:

John 14:16

16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever,

What a comforting verse for the redeemed soul huh? Notice Jesus says God will give us another helped which is the Holy Spirit to be with us FOREVER!

Jesus said it and that settles it for me, how about you? As you can see, once you are God's nothing and I mean nothing can change that fact!

Tom
preachermantom  
#19 Posted : Thursday, March 08, 2012 5:28:02 AM(UTC)
preachermantom

United States

What must happen for a redeemed soul to be lost? #4

Well we have two things that must happen left for the saved soul to be lost. So let us jump right into the fourth thing:

We must be separated from the love of God.

Again this morning I just want you to stop and think about that for a few moments.

These verses I am about to share pretty much put to rest the idea that anything can separate us from the love of God!

Romans 8:38-39

38 For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

The verses above make me what to jump up and shout but I better not because my wife is sleeping and we are in a hotel room right now!!! haha What a great assurance from God's Word this morning that nothing and I mean nothing can separate us from the Love of God! There is one thing here that can keep us from eternity with God...do you see it in these verses? The last five words. "In Christ Jesus our Lord". God loves us but we have the choice to follow His Son Jesus or not. I firmly believe God loves those who end up in hell but because He is a holy and just God He can not tolerate sin in His presence thus when we deny giving our lives to Jesus He has no choice but to send us to hell.

So this morning if you are save soul go out rejoicing for nothing can take your soul away from God but if you are not a follower of Jesus you can also go out rejoicing by giving you life to Jesus today! If you don't well you really don't have anything to rejoice about!

Tom
preachermantom  
#20 Posted : Friday, March 09, 2012 5:35:35 AM(UTC)
preachermantom

United States

What must happen for a redeemed soul to be lost? #5

Today we will end the week with our final look at what must happen for a saved soul to be lost. Here is number 5:

Our name must be erased from the Lamb's book of life.

Hmmmm very interesting huh? Look at this verse:

Luke 10:20

20 Nevertheless, do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven.”

Can you rejoice this morning? Have you accepted this free gift from Jesus....the gift of eternal life? All one must do is ask Jesus Christ to be your Lord and Savior. Once you do that the rejoicing begins not only here but in heaven! I want to see the man, or spirit, or devil that can erase what God has written! It can not be done!!!!!

So let's recap the week: 5 things that must happen for a saved soul to be lost:

1. He must be plucked out of God's hand.

2. The Seal of Ownership which made us God's purchased possession must be broken.

3. The indwelling Holy Spirit must be cast out.

4. We must be separated from the love of God.

5. Our names must be erased from the Lamb's Book of Life.

My friends as we have seen through the week the saved soul has nothing to worry about as we have been redeemed by the blood of the Lamb. Nothing we have done, it is all because of Jesus! We can't lose our salvation it is a done deal....thank God!

Tom