logo
Please support our Sponsors!
Wild Wings Taxidermy
J&S Migrators
Vertical Descent Outdoors
Click here to Contact us!
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DeltaVOL  
#21 Posted : Saturday, October 14, 2017 5:05:16 PM(UTC)
DeltaVOL

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
We have a 3k watt Honda but not a super quiet one its 69db at full capacity. Looking into making a camo quiet box and pit it behind the pit near a big drainage ditch.
mudstomper  
#22 Posted : Saturday, October 14, 2017 5:07:27 PM(UTC)
mudstomper

Was thanked: 302 time(s) in 209 post(s)
Put the generator in a insulated box with vents on one side and we crack the top.if it is cold it ain't going to get hot. We use a big wooden box. Cuts way down on the noise. With a honda 2000 you can't hear it 50 ft away. Plus you can just lock it in the box if you wanted.
mudstomper  
#23 Posted : Saturday, October 14, 2017 5:27:41 PM(UTC)
mudstomper

Put the generator in a insulated box with vents on one side and we crack the top.if it is cold it ain't going to get hot. We use a big wooden box. Cuts way down on the noise. With a honda 2000 you can't hear it 50 ft away. Plus you can just lock it in the box if you wanted when it is night.
possumfoot  
#24 Posted : Saturday, October 14, 2017 5:36:55 PM(UTC)
possumfoot

Was thanked: 133 time(s) in 110 post(s)
Originally Posted by: featherduster Go to Quoted Post
If you are running a Honda generator, you can hunt while it's running if you have to. I would rather not, but I have killed many ducks over them while running. On several different occasions.

it does not matter. we used to run an above ground pump that was LOUD!!! so loud that on a calm day you could hear it 4-500 years away. even in the wind you could hear it 250-300 yards down wind. ducks did not mind.. that said, (in MO) open water does no good if there are no ducks around to use it.
thanks 1 user thanked possumfoot for this useful post.
mudstomper  
#25 Posted : Saturday, October 14, 2017 7:57:20 PM(UTC)
mudstomper

Why not make it quite if you can was my point. You would not stand up and shout in the shooting hole when you see duck circling in my opinion waterfowl learn and become conditioned. If you heard a old style car horn and then half your friends got capped then next time you hear that sound it would be a warning that it is not right. It may take awhile for them to learn but they will become conditioned to responed negetaively eventually. Why do duck feed at night after hunting pressure starts Years of conditioning them to do so.
possumfoot  
#26 Posted : Saturday, October 14, 2017 10:13:04 PM(UTC)
possumfoot

Originally Posted by: mudstomper Go to Quoted Post
Why not make it quite if you can was my point. You would not stand up and shout in the shooting hole when you see duck circling in my opinion waterfowl learn and become conditioned. If you heard a old style car horn and then half your friends got capped then next time you hear that sound it would be a warning that it is not right. It may take awhile for them to learn but they will become conditioned to responed negetaively eventually. Why do duck feed at night after hunting pressure starts Years of conditioning them to do so.

well, if you want to talk about conditioning, hunters try to quiet their pumps. pumps on refuges are LOUD!! i can hear one close to me a mile away. ducks seem to be ok with it. LOL throws a whole different aspect in there doesn't it..

that said, i don't think birds are able to recognize the noise. being a constant sound, i am not sure they can hear/process it.

Edited by user Saturday, October 14, 2017 10:16:48 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked possumfoot for this useful post.
mudstomper  
#27 Posted : Sunday, October 15, 2017 4:20:59 PM(UTC)
mudstomper

The refuge don't jump up and explode at them. But I may be wrong. Do you remember the spinning wing when it first came out? How birds acted when they saw it. It sure dont work anywhere but Canada like that anymore! And that is because the birds are birds of the year. Give it time
possumfoot  
#28 Posted : Sunday, October 15, 2017 5:57:55 PM(UTC)
possumfoot

Originally Posted by: mudstomper Go to Quoted Post
The refuge don't jump up and explode at them. But I may be wrong. Do you remember the spinning wing when it first came out? How birds acted when they saw it. It sure dont work anywhere but Canada like that anymore! And that is because the birds are birds of the year. Give it time

not sure that is a good comparison. as for robos, i kill a good many ducks over em still and according to band returns, they are not young birds. (avg age of a banded mallard from my place is 3 y/o. not taking birds banded as adults into account)

Edited by user Sunday, October 15, 2017 6:03:13 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

featherduster  
#29 Posted : Sunday, October 15, 2017 6:43:49 PM(UTC)
featherduster

United States

Was thanked: 178 time(s) in 133 post(s)
Originally Posted by: possumfoot Go to Quoted Post
If you are running a Honda generator, you can hunt while it's running if you have to. I would rather not, but I have killed many ducks over them while running. On several different occasions.

it does nouhyt matter. we used to run an above ground pump that was LOUD!!! so loud that on a calm day you could hear it 4-500 years away. even in the wind you could hear it 250-300 yards down wind. ducks did not mind.. that said, (in MO) open water does no good if there are no ducks around to use it.

True true. The only reason I would rather it not run, is the noise getting annoying after awhile.
possumfoot  
#30 Posted : Sunday, October 15, 2017 6:49:50 PM(UTC)
possumfoot

Originally Posted by: possumfoot Go to Quoted Post

it does nouhyt matter. we used to run an above ground pump that was LOUD!!! so loud that on a calm day you could hear it 4-500 years away. even in the wind you could hear it 250-300 yards down wind. ducks did not mind.. that said, (in MO) open water does no good if there are no ducks around to use it.

True true. The only reason I would rather it not run, is the noise getting annoying after awhile.

now that is where the draw back is. being able to hear it kinda important when hunting.